Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Thursday 2 March 2023

Intrusive perhaps but welcomed kingfisher

 It was one of pristine white and unblemished rich blue whose robust coarse calls 'kek, kek, kek, kek' could not be ignored, and who was not too concerned about me approaching closer and closer that I deduced it could be a young adult Collared Kingfisher (Todiramphus chloris), that perhaps it was deliberately left alone in the taman as its ceaseless calls went unheeded for extended time, a characteristic severing of attachment by the parents (?).

It was not difficult to locate this one when its calls blasted the quiet noon hours.



So preoccupied was it looking for presumably another, that I could walk to practically beneath it.


And then suddenly alerted, it flew across the taman, to land where I thanked my luck for a closer look, looking indeed fresh and untainted.

Leaving it alone, I walked on but when I returned later, I practically flushed it out and it flew off to renew its noisy reconnection.





I decided to test its reaction as I openly approached it to have it promptly react by flying higher up to a tree. 

Its presence seemed to have intimidated the resident White-throated Kingfisher who I followed quickly to detect where it had fled to, to find it had joined its mate, both perching quietly in a sheltered end of the taman.


When a group of school children arrived for their activity, this one flew up even higher and eventually to the topmost perch, and I guessed it's time to take my leave.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We saw 2 Collared Kingfishers, calling loudly on 25th Feb at the park. https://ebird.org/checklist/S129554956

Ken