Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Monday 15 June 2020

A special Fantail discovery, Part I

When visits to selected parks were finally allowed during the MCO, and TRK being one of them, I went the very next day.  However, despite the park looking rather charmingly like a wilderness, there was no significant sighting, other than the boisterous resident pairs of White-throated Kingfishers.






Couldn't help falling in love with this wild 'heart' that has formed in the park.



Then precisely a month to the day, I was alerted to a special sighting (special to me), a nest of a pair of Pied Fantails with a chick.  This sighting was special because this bird is not a resident of the park and over the many years I've walked the park, I've only managed to sight only one Fantail at a time, and only a couple of times, so to have a pair nesting here is indeed special and heartening.
And I gather that perhaps because it's not a resident, it built its nest outside the park, in fact its characteristic little neat cup sits just above the sidewalk or pavement.  Perhaps then the MCO encouraged this location because not so many people passed by this way then.
Unexpected work commitment meant that I could only rush to the park that very late afternoon when I got the nesting alert.
When I managed to locate the nest, it was pretty quiet and looked like the little one had fledged!



But fortunately it suddenly emerged and I leant later to take this as a sign that a parent was approaching - so ready, set, go, camera!
It looked like the chick was already well into its second week.



One can always sense the parent's indulgence and patience when the chick constantly calls out for food whenever it sees its parent.



Feeding was continuous and rotated between the parents.




With rest in between.... providing lovely portraits of parent and chick, and more to come ....




No comments: