Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Monday 31 January 2022

A long-awaited dove

 A flash of white underparts ensured that I stopped in my track, zoomed in, and lo and behold, the last bird I expected to see, a Jambu Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus jambu).  I've longed to see this one ever since I heard about its sighting in the bukit more than a year ago and yet when it appeared it still came as a surprise, unexpected mainly because of the time and tree it was in.

The Jambu Fruit Dove is of Near Threatened status in the IUCN Red List and it's always pure delight to come across this bird regardless of whether it's the more gorgeous looking male or less striking female. It normally moves about quietly in mid or higher canopy, then sits out its time ever so silently till it's ready to fly away which makes it a challenge to spot this bird.

Nevertheless I couldn't be more thrilled to spot this female sub-adult here especially least expected since there was no fruiting tree around to attract its presence and foraging.  





A few seconds spent to preen enabled more photo opportunities.







The dove is so well blended into the foliage that when it moved, I almost lost it and in particular when I changed position too for better angles.


It was with reluctance that I finally left it as it tried to snooze but looked like it was alert to being watched.
Enough!  It has given me its time and for that what else but gratitude.






No comments: