Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Thursday 3 February 2022

CSE in action again

The Crested Serpent-eagle in the taman is definitely no longer fazed by the presence of human beings even as it knew it was being watched.

Flying suddenly from its perch across the field it swooped past right low to land on the other side and it looked like a score although I couldn't make out the prey at this point.




Tracing it took moments as it flew up and into mid canopy, and then there it was already feasting.



And finally, engrossed in its meal it didn't mind my movements below for open shots.  And it took simply seconds for it to finish off its monitor lizard meal.
And I had to think that I had enabled this meal (!) as I had just walked along this way and the monitor lizard must have frozen at that spot as any monitor lizard normally does when it's alert to human movements, easy prey for the CSE who was obviously timing its seizure from afar.



And its usual hygienic clean-up after a meal.



And would you think that it's satisfied after this meal?



Just before I headed home I thought I would have one last attempt for my target birds in this same area, and this was an hour later.  
It was hardly minutes whilst standing there when I heard loud flapping of wings and who but this very same one dropped from right above me, landed just mere couple of feet away, paused to look at me as I reached clumsily for my camera, then fled instantly with a reasonably long slithery prey, all in seconds, 

And so, one more occasion when I was so very close to a reptilian resident of the taman!

Be warned - a long tale of a long meal ahead!

Racing now, hoping to watch the CSE devour its meal was challenging enough and even more so trying to observe it through dense foliage upon spotting it.



At this point I could make out vaguely that it looked like one gorgeous green snake with 'netting pattern'.


A prey that's still very much alive, flicking its tail.



And indeed a stunning-looking reptile, Paradise Flying Snake (Chrysopelea paradisi), id courtesy of Dr Vince Adam.




Being a pretty long and robust looking snake, it looked like a clawful to handle for the CSE as it flipped and flapped.




I could then see that it had started on its meal as it kept tugging at the snake, even then it was on high alert to its surrounding, perhaps a hovering threat close by awaiting opportunity to close in.







The CSE normally would have tried to swallow its prey whole if it was a smaller one but this time, it was seen to continuously yank and tear off pieces for swallow.




As expected it drew on its nictitating membrane from time to time for protection.





Another beak-ful of torn flesh.




Hardly a peaceful meal I guessed as it continued to be on alert between mouthful.




And it looked like finally it had devoured its catch to lifelessness as the remaining body hung lamely.






And also it finally attempted to swallow the remainder of its meal!  It had been more than 20 minutes now, the longest I've seen the CSE taken to finish off a snake meal.

And I was certainly hoping it would be done soon too as my handheld camera was beginning to weigh me down after these 20 minutes, in addition to having to withstand mosquitoes and the kerengga/red ants and adjacent stench as I had to squat throughout for my Nat Geo moments, the only position possible for these shots!






And the moment I was waiting for as it raised its head to swallow off its prey.



But it looked like it wasn't going to be easy.











And over at last!




Cleaning up as usual, and my hat off to the taman's very own avian maintenance!





No comments: