Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 3 February 2024

Another sub-adult?

 Just as I was still feeling special (lol) after my recent open encounter with a sub-adult Buffy Fish Owl, I received news of one found on the ground, and the immediate thought was it must be injured.

And of course, it was, for one normally does not find an owl on the ground unless it's a flight down for a prey.

Unfortunately being away at that time, I could only advise that the little one should be returned to a high branch as soon as possible, that the parent would return to retrieve it.

When I arrived in the late afternoon to check in, the juvy was once again down on the ground, either on its own accord or it fell again.

Perhaps it decided to drop down for that flowing water below where it was placed, and there it lied even as we approached for closer inspection.



Looking simply adorable, one felt almost guilty for delighting in its proximity!



Fortunately a parent was still around on guard as it closely monitored our movements, I guess against predators, man and beast!




On guard sans action could be rather boring, I supposed.





Was there a happy ending?
I could only hope so as the juvy was left there on the ground with the parent still on watch, towards evening.
I returned the next day and finding no feathers, either whole or broken on the ground, I decided to be optimistic.


P/S  So all's well after all when the sub-adult reappeared a week later accompanied by both parents!

No comments: