Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 17 February 2018

A Kite's breakfast


It was a birder’s dream, almost.
As I saw the Brahminy Kite head towards me, almost down to eye level as I stood by the stream, I was momentarily spellbound.  It was hardly 20 meters away before it turned suddenly, swooped down and I knew it got its target as it flew up again, rather heavily and clumsily with something between its claws.  It’s a tilapia fish!

(Sometimes to simply stand and watch a bird in action rather than to reach for the camera is truly thrilling – those magnificent wings in motion right before your very eyes, and the feeling as that big bird flew only meters past you is indescribable.)

I was equally thrilled when it flew right before me to land at a dried branch to devour its breakfast.


However, I was rather disappointed when it landed with its back to me. 


And then it looked like it had trouble trying to eat and balance at the same time, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned round to continue tearing at its food.




And then it looked like even a big bird like the Kite is vulnerable to possible 'snatches' as it constantly lifted its head, between eats, looked around, alert to the persistent bird calls around.




Hoping that a snarl will put off a potential rival!






This was its last scan around and then it looked like it could not take it any more as it finally took off with its partially-eaten fish, perhaps it will find some peace somewhere and I totally lost it as it flew off.



No comments: