Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Tuesday 14 June 2022

Wherefore, waterhen?

 "Curiouser and curiouser!" so says I too. 

I was literally halted in my tracks when I heard the calls, hardly believing my ears, and it needed no effort to spot it.  There it was in full view and hardly batted an eye when I zoomed in on it.

A most unusual place, at the ascent to Bukit Kiara practically by the roadside, there was the White-breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis phoenicurus) in all its fullness, hardly its typical habitat and preening unabashedly.






It finally wandered off and ten minutes later, I heard the calls again and now it was up on a tree trunk, preening and calling out again, then wandered down and finally disappeared.

A most unusual behaviour for a super shy bird!







No comments: