Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Thursday 28 September 2017

Bravo, Wagtail!

It was so good to see this little Grey Wagtail again, assuming it's the same one I saw about three weeks ago.  I did wonder if this visitor would 'hang around' the taman during its migratory period here.
    Being a little fella at about 20 cm, it looked tiny on the rock in the stream, and it looked a little lost too.  It had me worried for a while as I thought it was injured as it lingered on the rock, at that one spot, looking rather vulnerable.
     And, a White-throated Kingfisher, slightly bigger at more than 10 cm the Wagtail's size, decided to play the local bully, shrieking and flying against the Wagtail, obviously trying to intimidate it.  However, this foreign feathered visitor hardly flinched as the Kingfisher almost brushed against it, which seemed to reinforce my worry that it was hurt and immobilised.
     However, when I raised my voice to point it out to another birder it suddenly took off, much to my surprise and thrill, indicating that it was well after all.




 



No comments: