Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Tuesday 10 April 2018

And juvy makes three, Part I

To say I was on cloud nine would be an understatement, with this latest discovery.  And I should have paid more heed to my hunch, then I would have sighted this much earlier.
The sighting of a hole was the first sign , then the adult came with a fruit but flew off immediately, perhaps it sensed my presence.


And then the great mystery was solved when this little head popped out!  And oh ye, what a thrill!  My first barbet in a hole!






It was an exciting wait for the adults to appear as I could hear both parents busy calling out, communicating, which made junior pop its head out incessantly.


Then one came, at last.


It was off too soon, and another came back, although it's difficult to tell if it's the same one.  These were truly cautious birds as they were calling out to each other long before one came back.  It looked like they were trying not to reveal where the nest was as they flew everywhere except to their nest, and only to the nest when they thought that they were not detected.





The adult decided to follow in too, at this point I was still in the dark why it did so, until later when I made another discovery.



Again, the little one called out continuously for its parent, and it was truly adorable how it twisted its head about, to the parent's call.




Another quick visit by a parent and looked like it was looking for something as it kept popping its head in and out of the nest, finally it went in, and came out with what looked like waste, then I knew it had actually went in to clean the nest to emerge with junior's dried poop!  Oh, me and my slow reflex, that I missed the shot with the waste!






I found another angle to get my shots, more hidden from the birds, discovered that it may not be an ideal corner but the adult was now less aware of my presence from my new spot, as it spent a little time longer with junior.


Managed to observe what I thought were tender moments between the adult and its juvy.



The adult seemed to be pecking at junior's bill.  Could a little cleaning be going on here?


A loving look from the parent.


Some may not deem this bird beautiful but it is indeed.


Looked like a playful moment.


Another look before it flew off.


A longing look from junior.



Having observed junior for almost two hours, this is the first time I saw it looked like it was going to emerge from the nest but in it went instead.


Looking almost dejected as if it had been warned not to leave its nest.


Perhaps, mama or papa would come back soon.


No comments: