Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Friday 13 March 2020

Goshawk 'steals' a bath

This is going to be a pretty lengthy piece in view of the half hour I was entertained by this Crested Goshawk.
When it suddenly flew into view I was simply delighted because I thought it provided such an ideal photographic opportunity.




And then to my surprise it flew straight past me down to the favourite spot where most raptors had been seen to take their bath, and hardly 15 ft away.
As usual it displayed extreme alertness before it proceeded to drink, I thought.





Taking gulps of water.





And then it dunked in and splashed, guessed it couldn't resist a refreshing dip, and to my sheer delight!





And out it came, and as ever alert again.


But it was hardly bothered when it saw me, even as I moved about trying to get better views and open shots.




And just as I expected it to fly off, back it returned into the water.  And it looked like it was more concerned about other avian presence before it took to the water again.


The nictitating membrane drawn to protect its eye from the water.  This membrane is also to help the bird moisturise its eyes when it flies at high speed so that the eyes do not dry out.



This time I noticed the membrane was drawn again before it headed in for another dip and splash.






It did look like it had enough as it got back on dry ground.


But nope, it went right back into the water, submerging only halfway though, a belly bath after all!







At last, looked like it had had enough as it flew up.  Then I noticed that it repeatedly open its beak but I could not discern any call or sound, perhaps clearing its throat off water.



A little preening called for here.


Then as suddenly it sped down like a little bullet.


Again it flew straight into the water, this time even closer to where I was, mere feet away, hardly fazed by my presence.




It again displayed extreme alertness, constantly scanning its surrounding.



When it got up from the water, again it looked like it was actually clearing its throat.
Fleeing to a perch, it continued to do just that.



A momentary attempt to shake off some water.




Another attempt to shake off more water.



And then I waited and waited to see what it was going to do next as it perched there with one leg up.


And a lightbulb moment when I saw its stance.


So it was waiting to poop before it took off again.




Well, it needed a little washing now I supposed (!) and looked like the water was so alluring that it hardly mattered that I was watching it and it knew.



In it went this time the entire body.



And then continuously clearing its throat again.



Dunking in again and again unreservedly this time, and nope, no matter that I was right there.











It finally got its entire body drenched, a triumph!




It's certainly a long bath display and finally this one seemed satisfied as it flew off but not before a couple of throat clearing and vigorous shake.





No comments: