Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 20 November 2021

'Amur' with a difference

 I guess after birding for some time now, one does get to have an 'extra' feeling when encountering a bird.  When I spotted a flurry of splayed brown tail feathers my heart almost skipped a beat, that this one might be worth tracking if I was able to, as it came in a bird wave which is always now you see now you don't.



And I was glad I persisted, and the bird almost got me little crazy, moving from spot to spot trying to nail an identifiable image, and finally it obliged although from a far, but enough.

It's a male Amur Paradise Flycatcher with slight but discernible elongated tail feathers or rectrices that will be truly grand in a couple of months!






It may not be the best of poses but I was happy with this confirmation of the rectrices which can extend to twice its body length, ie, up to 30cm before it flies home to breed.










No comments: