Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Tuesday 19 February 2019

A Honey-buzzard alost?

When I heard sudden shrieks and cries among the common birds, I guessed that there could be a winged 'intruder' around.  But standing where I was, stupefied with the sudden and shocking appearance of the Common Kingfisher, and which subsequently gave me the most memorable display of scouring for fish, with its intense flapping of wings as it circulated the pond at lightning speed whilst scanning the water (that I even forgot about photographing it!), that I just ignored the din and commotion.  
Then suddenly, I saw an Oriental Honey-buzzard fly right across where I was standing, in hot pursuit by a flock of Mynas and Oriental Magpie Robins!
Fortunately for me the Honey-buzzard appeared again when I was down by the river hoping for another sighting of the Kingfisher (alas, in vain).  Then only did I realise why this big one was being pursued by the smaller ones.  It's a young bird that must have strayed from its flock, and it did look lost.  Unfortunately, this was the one and only sighting as it did not appear again.




No comments: