Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Thursday 28 February 2019

Admiring the Orioles

I've always maintained that the taman is an excellent place to observe the various development stages of a bird.  It needs some effort to seek out these birds but it could be so worthwhile.  This time I had the Black-naped Oriole as my subject.  It's not like I've not seen the juveniles and the sub-adults before but this is the first time I have crossed path with a newly-fledged juvenile as it literally flew in and perched right where I was standing.
And I couldn't have enough of it because it truly looked gorgeous with its striking yellow and black streaks.








This incident prompted me to review my stock of images of the Orioles caught at different development stages to adulthood.









This one really looked aged.


So the next question is: how does this brilliant yellow help the bird?  Would the colour not make the bird an easy target for predators?
An extract from the Malaysian Naturalist Vol 69-2 Dec 2015 provided the perfect answer:
"... they were canopy dwellers.  Canopy dwellers tended to be colourful because "as they dart amongst the flashes of light and shade in the dense foliage, the colours act as camouflage".
Also, another possible answer is that "socail birds can look out for each other and can warn others about predators, so they too can afford to be more colourful".

No comments: