Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Friday 27 September 2019

A Falconet descends

This is the closest ever I've come to the Black-thighed Falconet.  When I first spotted it I had thought that it was already unusually low down on the thin tree.
This was how tiny it was compared to the dove that flew up the same branch.


Then to my astonishment it flew right to where I was standing chatting to a couple I met on their walk, simply couple of feet away, unfazed by our presence.
Going by its manner, it looked like something in the pond attracted its attention as it gazed constantly at the water, and also expectantly as if to be joined by another, but it was not to be.




Despite noticing my presence and my aiming at it with my lens, it continued to hang on there.



Meanwhile it also eye-balled the couple who was trying to shoot it with a handphone.


Given the proximity to the bird, it was an excellent opportunity to observe its jagged, pointed and hooked beak, typical of a raptor, so one can imagine how easily it can tear a prey even of its own size.


And then it's all over as it flew off suddenly.



And there it was in the distance, where one can also spot a coppersmith barbet.


No comments: