Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Thursday 16 December 2021

When I'm happily wrong

 When what looked like an Indian Cuckoo suddenly flew in, perched above where I was waiting for a sighting, any sighting, I thought this a reward for patience, but it was unfortunately too close for a swift shot.

And then off it fled spooked by the sudden appearance of a swarm of tiny flies.  Watching it descend into trees across the huge pond, I immediately was in pursuit.

But this was only the beginning, of a hunt that lasted more than two hours, with nary a call or flutter, zilch, to lead so it looked like it had completely left the taman.  On the lighter side, I could only take it that I must have been seen to have spent an incredible lengthy time in the taman wandering around when a park worker queried if I didn't need to rest for lunch!

Determined that I would spare one last attempt at finding it before I returned home I headed right across to the other side of the taman, strode right into the shadiest part of the taman, and within seconds, one that resembles the hunted flew into sight, and with pounding heart, I sent off a swift prayer that this could be it, and bingo! notwithstanding that it was merely there to afford me a couple of shots before it fled, this time spooked by the noisy resident greater racket-tailed drongo-cuckoo.

Even as I thought that this was the 'regular Indian cuckoo' that could be sighted again in the taman, going by previous records, there's nothing like getting it at this first sighting.   

But am I in for a thrill when I was corrected by a senior birder that the 'indian cuckoo supposed to have dark black band near tail end ... that's the definitive feature for me, but before seeing that, the head posture looks slightly different from an indian already ... i can only describe this as having a longer and straighter neck (?) than an indian', and this bird was subsequently identified as the Himalayan/Oriental Cuckoo (Cuculus saturatus), these two being practically visually alike but better differentiated by their calls.  However, I would take it as the Himalayan to err on the side of it being the more likely visitor here, as also recorded locally elsewhere before.

This bird breeds from the Himalayas ranging from northern India, north-eastern Pakistan to southern China and Taiwan, and is known to winter in South-east Asian and down to northern Australia.

Whilst it's of Least Concern status in the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species, the Himalayan cuckoo is nevertheless an uncommon migrant here and hence its presence in a small taman like TRK is mega, and with this the species count stands at 111.


19/2021



Perhaps it was more than just the drongo-cuckoo that spooked it going by its backward glance before it fled.








No comments: