Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Monday 14 March 2022

A 'fearless' shrike

 This was certainly the closest ever I came close to a Brown Shrike.  Backing away as I looked up to scan the tree across the road, I almost backed into this one that was calling out loud, and so strange that I was not even aware that it was doing so just behind me until I turned round with a shock!

It's a female that's in moult, an indication that it's time to fly home to breed.


And then it continued to call out as I moved about whilst focused on it, and it was hardly fazed as any shrike would, ie take off at the slightest sign of being spotted.








It continued to remain on its perch even as it turned round to face me.



And suddenly it took off, flew right past me as if I was an inanimate object across to the other side of the road and then off.




It has got to be this same one which I saw in late January, at almost the same spot.






No comments: