Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Tuesday 19 June 2018

Nesting Bulbul, Part 5

It is with a prayer that I hope the immature Bulbuls will be safe as squirrel, shrew and bigger birds are always in the vicinity.
I have witnessed once how a Bulbul has lost a young to a Crow, seized right before my very eyes, as I was watching the adult feeding the young.
And so my fears were founded when I heard the adult Bulbuls shrieking incessantly just the day after the young fledged.  Rushing to the window, I was just in time to witness one of the immatures fly desperately onto the only platform that could guarantee its safety, across to the tile awning.
And could it be out of fear that it pooped?


And there it was, the culprit, the Plantain Squirrel.



Looked like one adult decided that the best solution was the nearby palm tree.  Flying there it cried out, as if for its young to follow suit.



The other one took a little while longer to fly away from the tree, across to the air-conditioner.


Both soon joined the parent on the palm tree, what a narrow escape, safe at last, hopefully.

And so I said Farewell to the experience that these bulbuls have offered me, ever so memorable, a priceless National Geographic roll out right at my doorstep.

I could envisage this drama of nesting, growing out and play, exposure to the elements and predators, play out daily in the taman, so I'm truly grateful that I had such a close-up witness account into all these right on my balcony.


No comments: