Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Monday 18 June 2018

Nesting Bulbul, Part I

With the taman practically a stone's throw away, I was surprised that the Yellow-vented Bulbuls still chose to nest in the Dracaena Fragrans or also commonly known as Corn Plant on my balcony.  It was thus not easy to capture images of the nest building as any movement I made, even behind my glass sliding door, would alarm the bird.
Nevertheless it afforded me an excellent opportunity relive the nesting moments (the bird has nested in the same plant a few years back).






The nest looked splendid and the bird looked like it was starting to roost.


And then I got the first sign that something could have gone wrong.


And indeed, yes, as the nest looked like it was slipping, to an awkward angle!



Still, the bird persisted even as it looked precarious, and eventually, it led to a failed nesting.
But I was pleasantly surprised it returned and rebuilt three months' later (to be continued in the next posting).




No comments: