Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Sunday 22 December 2019

OBH in waiting

The taman is truly a transit 'station' as I observed a female adult orientalis Oriental Honey-buzzard, dark morph, making a temporary stop here whilst waiting for another to catch up.  This is a passage migrant, could be considered a late migrant because most would have passed over this part of the country by November,  perhaps have strayed from the main flock.  I guess another theory would be it's seen at this time because of the immature in tow as immatures are known to follow the adults only later in the migration south.  (This would be a heartwarming story of an adult delaying its own flight to accompany its weaker young!)

First it was seen circling and eventually descended to perch.  Then it was heard calling out although I had a hard time trying to spot it other than that flight sighting.
27/2019



And there it was, way up on the tallest bare branch.



Taking flight again, and with me in pursuit, it was another frantic search for the bird when I heard it calling the second time, and then silence.  
It was going to be a while before I spotted it again, or so I thought until an examination of my shot revealed it to be another, an immature.  This fella too was perched way up, and then it took flight too.



Whilst trying to locate the immature that had taken flight, I was surprised to spot the adult perching quietly up high in another part of the taman.



Then the immature appeared suddenly and was promptly joined by the adult, and then came my frustration when I couldn't get my gear set right and missed the opportunity to shoot the two circling together before thermals took them higher up and away.  So I'm left to be contented with one vague image of the immature in flight, for which I'm grateful nevertheless.



No comments: