Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Sunday 15 December 2019

Serpent-eagle on the hunt

This Crested Serpent-eagle was truly on a mission, for a prey.  It was spotted in different locations in the taman just in one morning, and unfortunately did not seem to be successful at all at its hunt.  For better, or for worse, its failure did suggest that the taman was relatively clear of snakes then!
When I first spotted it, thought it was sleeping!





When I came round to another part of the taman, there it was again, at eye-level, not the least affected by my presence, more pre-occupied with scanning the ground.




Much later, it was yet at another spot, again no indication of any catch.


Two days later, there it was again, and did not look any more successful.


And the next day, it was back again.  This time spotted by a group of eagle-eyed (pun intended) boys who waved enthusiastically to me, to take a shot at their find.  They couldn't quite make out what bird was as the Serpent-eagle was sitting quietly in the shade, but as soon as they saw the image in my camera, the boys were terribly excited, and I must add that they then took me by pleasant surprise by their bird ID knowledge, how refreshing!  Certainly birders in the making, adding that they love birding!


Just before I left the taman, whilst taking a detour, this bird flew right before me to an overhead branch, flushed out by my presence I believed because it was perched low, still on the hunt.
So much for the hunting saga of a raptor!


No comments: