Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Monday 20 August 2018

First migrant sighted

Down by the river, as I was lamenting the poor bird show in the taman and by the river, what did I see as I turned to get back to the taman?  The first one had landed, I thought.  From the distance I quickly took a shot and I was right.  The Grey Wagtail is the very first migrant to have flown in here.

Once again, it is proven how strategic the taman is located.  It does provide a transit or stay-over point for many migrant birds.  The migratory period is just beginning and wintering birds from the north will arrive here soon and what a time to look forward to!
(Last year there was a record of almost 50 migrant birds sighted in this small urban taman, many for the first time).
1/2018


Back to the Wagtail, all I could manage subsequently were the following blurred images.  As I hurried up the ramp to get closer shots, the bird suddenly took off, and I kicked myself because I thought it was my sudden movements to get closer.




Then I found out what was the culprit because this one suddenly came into sight (more on this one in the next article).



No comments: