Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 25 August 2018

Three Koels

The Asian Koel's calls were most loudly heard from December to February, and thereafter hardly, which led me to believe that this was a migrant bird.  Then I came across it in May through to July too so it looked like this bird could be a resident in the taman, definitely so now, as I  just saw it again.

This female suddenly emerged from the undergrowth because of an unnatural call which shocked me as I didn't expect it to be down there.


This led me in search for the male which I was pretty sure was somewhere around, and so it was, up a tree, a few metres away.



And surprise, surprise, another one came into sight, on the same tree.  I waited for the two to confront one another as I thought it could be two males vying for the female, unfortunately it never happened as the two were contented to stay where they were for the duration I observed them.  However, this one seemed to be searching and although looked like it was calling, no call actually could be heard.




No comments: