Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Monday 8 February 2021

A bulbul close-up

 The Stripe-throated Bulbul (Pycnonotus finlaysoni) is one of the more common resident birds in the taman, and one would think it's used to being around park goers.  Unfortunately it still takes flight the minute one approaches.

However this one was so on to something that I had to stop for it as it simply continued to scour the ground despite my approach.




Yes, finally a beetle.



And then it seemed to play with it, dropping it and picking it up, before it turned the other way, and there went my opportunity to see it swallow its catch.




Again, it didn't look like it was even aware that I was just feet away that it continued to forage, and I had to back off because it was simply out of my frame now!

Another success.



Finally it noticed me, and suddenly quickly gulped down its prey.




Giving me another look.




I guessed it realised now that I'm not a tree trunk after all, and up it fled ...


... to peep from just above me.






No comments: