Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 20 February 2021

And shrike makes it complete

 Just as the larger woodshrikes flew off, a movement in the distant shrub caught my eye and to my surprise it was the Brown Shrike, this migrant which I've not seen for a while and thought had flown home.

I couldn't feel grateful enough that the timing of these encounters couldn't have been more appropriate to illustrate their differences!

The way the Shrike was behaving behind the foliage made me suspect that this one must have spotted something and perhaps waiting for me to move away as I was just over 20 feet away.


Well, I guessed whatever it was, was simply too irresistible as it braved my presence to fly down for it.


Confirmed my suspicion that it had spotted me!


Nevertheless ever cautious as it scanned about.



And then it simply went down and pulled it out!



And off it went to a tree further away with its catch.



Even as its back was to me, rather unfortunately, I could sense its struggle with this long prey.











And then it's all gone, almost.


A rather contented looking bird.



And the usual scraping clean of the bill after a meal.



No comments: