Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Friday 26 February 2021

A third Malkoha species

 Sometimes I do forget my own counsel to not miss to capture shots of any bird even if it's familiar, and in this particular case I was grateful that I was given a second chance.

I had ignored a flying malkoha yesterday brushing it off as a Green-billed Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus tristis) probably a young one because of its relatively shorter tail length.

And the next day when this one flew in again in the same area, I decided to take shots simply because the target bird didn't appear, and thank God, I did because it turned out to be a Black-bellied Malkoha (Phaenicophaeus diardi), my first sighting of this bird in the bukit!

This would be the third species of malkoha sighted here, the third being the chestnut-breasted malkoha.

And I've learnt that a useful way to differentiate these two is to look at the nostril which is rather circular in the green-billed whilst triangular in the black-bellied, a feature normally easy to spot for a shot.  In addition the other distinct feature in the green-billed is the bright white line round the eye patch which is absent from the black-bellied.

The Black-bellied Malkoha, unfortunately, has a Near Threatened status compared to the Green-billed Malkoha which is of Least Concern.


The brownish tinge to the tail-end of this black-bellied is also its distinct feature.





And I had just captured images of the Green-billed Malkoha the day before.




No comments: