Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Sunday 23 September 2018

Another bird tale, closer to home

With the taman as my backyard, I'm surprised that any bird will seek a condo balcony to nest, not once but todate, three times.  It's obviously the same bird as it kept using the same Dracaena Fragrans.
Now, a month after its chicks fledged, this Yellow-vented Bulbul (ref posts 18-19 June) came back and I was surprised to observe that it was brooding, indeed a productive bird!  Two nesting sessions within only 4 months.




When this Olive-backed Sunbird suddenly made an appearance, I did fear the worse.  Fortunately, nothing happened although the defensive Bulbul parents were fretting close by.


Some images of the parent with feeds.







This was common behaviour, one calling out to the other whenever it wanted to leave the nest alone, as if for the other to take over watch.


I was happy to note that there were two chicks as before.


Unfortunately eventually there was only one left.

The first glimpse of the chick emerging from the nest.


It decided to emerge completely and stood on the nest but I guessed it was not prepared for what was to happen next.


It dropped right before my eyes and by the time I bent down to look for it, it had disappeared.  Worried, I scanned the balcony floor and was relieved that it had managed to recover to perch on the wire pipe, beneath a pot, well hidden from view.


The frantic parent looking for its young, by which time I had retreated behind my sliding door, to leave the parent to its search.  Looked like the chick had disappeared.



Much to my pleasant surprise, the chick had managed already to fly to the nearest tree.  So relieved that it's fine.


A parent and chick reunion.


A couple of days later, I sought the chick out and was so glad to see that it was still doing well despite the daily showers.

Already sharp as it sensed my presence.


A cute moment when I captured its output, looked like it couldn't processed fruit feed yet, the output looked exactly like its input!


Enjoying a relaxing moment in the hot afternoon.





Two weeks later, I unwittingly stumbled upon these Bulbuls at the edge of the taman and knew immediately it's the same family.  And the chick was now a sub-adult but looked like it was still being fed.


Guess it's not too happy with its feed.



Demanding again, like a spoilt brat?!


The young flew off and the other parent flew in, perhaps some peace at last!




No comments: