Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Sunday 19 May 2019

Why birds? Why parks?

What are birds made of
Colours, shapes and sounds
and all things natural.

A park is not a park without its natural inhabitants.  Its most conspicuous would undoubtedly be birds.  Birds make a park come alive with flight movements and calls, not to forget colours.

Lend me your shade
My nest, my perch
Trees are made for birds
and birds for trees.

Birds suggest the quality of the environment of a park.  If food and water are clean, a park is vibrant for the presence of birds.

Sight for sore eyes
for imagination,
Be enchanted, be charmed,
Ahh, little birds, big birds.

Who has heard of a park being saved for the sake of birds?
Why birds, why?  Why?

Teach me to snuggle in, and tug away my worries, and I will be ready to take on the world again.


And the birds are for free spirit, openness, survival, fairness.
What is, what is not.






Want to teach children about wildlife?
Why start with birds?
Simply because that's the closest form of wildlife a child can get easily close to, whether at home or away.  And away is just a walk or a drive away, a park.

Let not a child forget
what a bird is
Let not a child forget
what a park is
Let not a child forget
a park for a mall
For I would have failed you then, my child.


No comments: