Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Falconets outing

I had thought that the silhouette of a bird perching up high looked familiar and I was right when I zoomed in, it was the Black-thighed Falconet, occasionally seen in the taman.  Against backlighting, it was pretty challenging to get a sharp image of this bird.  Then I just managed to make out that it was feeding on an insect prey, going by the outline of wings.



And then I thought it was on the hunt again when it cast around.




And then something flew pretty close past me and zooming in I was thrilled to spot a juvenile Falconet, at the lowest perch that I had come across so far.





It looked like this one was practising its flight as it simply flew around the vicinity, with the parent still perched up there.  It was playing hide-and-seek with me as I had to run about trying to locate it.






And then there were three!  An adult and its pair of young!  The juveniles have rufous on parts of the head while the adult's is whitish.


The adult falconet also has a darker beak.


The two juvies were left behind as its parent took off.


It was certainly a day out for these birds as these juveniles finally flew off too and then gathered again, minus one juvy later.


The sharp-eyed adult living up to its name as a raptor as it spotted me.  I wished then I could stay longer to observe what would come next with this family of three.



No comments: