Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Friday 28 June 2019

One Malkoha

I almost missed this one despite it being a big one, including its tail it's almost two feet long.  The Green-billed Malkoha is a regularly seen bird in both the taman and Bukit Kiara.  It's one of only two species of malkohas found in the Bukit, the other one being the chestnut-breasted malkoha, more irregularly spotted.
The malkoha belongs to the cuckoo family but is non-parasitic, and commonly seen foraging in the dense foliage for larger caterpillars or insects.


Zooming in I could see that it was preoccupied with something above it.  Unfortunately it disappeared into the thick foliage and I lost it momentarily.




When I returned to the same spot a few minutes later I could sense something moving, or rather hopping about, from branch to branch.  Finally it stopped long enough in the open for me to get another long shot, another angle.  I supposed I shouldn't complain, having got pretty good frontal and side views of this bird.



No comments: