Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Thursday 6 June 2019

Tagged Kite

When this sub-adult Brahminy Kite flew in I was thrilled that it could be one of the two 'home-grown' of the taman ...




... until I saw the 'ankle-bracelet' it was wearing, particularly visible when it lifted its wing.


Perhaps it could be one of the two after all since it has found its way to the taman.  Nevertheless and it's great to note this healthy beautiful bird going by its gorgeous plumage.



However I never imagined that this bird could wear such huge tags, compared to those smaller plastic rings normally found on the smaller birds.  I guess being a raptor tags of this size are appropriate.
(Subsequently I learnt that these are not tags but leg restraints and the bird could belong possibly to someone, which begs the question if anyone could legally own this protected species?)



As usual its keen eyes spotted me from across the pond where I was standing.


Just as I was wondering why it was hovering at the roof top, it suddenly flew just below for the whitish stuff.  Could this have been dropped by the crested goshawk that it was chasing when I first spotted the birds pursuing one another?  The goshawk was seen flying into the trees flanking this gazebo. 




Having retrieved it and sensing my continued presence it flew off with the stuff.




No comments: