Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Monday 16 November 2020

With the ckf

 It's no wonder the Common Kingfisher returns repeatedly to the river although it's hard to predict its appearance.

There are spots that are simply teeming with these small fry.

The latest encounter was indeed a prolonged one.

The persistent calls of this kingfisher set me seeking it and it was not easy because when I finally located it, it was a challenge to get close to it, and precisely for this reason, it had the luxury of repeatedly diving for fish away from human proximity!  Nevertheless it didn't deter me from trying to get some flying shots, unfortunately turned out to be pretty dismal efforts!  However I guess a few of these images could suggest the intensity and speed of dive of this little dynamo!





And it was fascinating to observe how this bird will emerge repeatedly to perch right at the tip of the rock.




And a violent swing to whack the fish before swallowing.


And it was successful too with each dive except for the last one.





Another emergence,  another 'edgy' perch, another success!






The last dive had this fella emerge spewing water, only.





I have to say that this little fella did set me running from one spot to another trying to get the best angle for a shoot.



And my movements must have attracted its attention finally as it zoomed in on me!


But because I was still at a distance it stayed on undeterred by my presence.




It looked like it was trying to lose me finally as it moved on to the next rock, and fled, spooked off by the sudden appearance of a striated heron.




However, minutes later its calls alerted me again to its presence, and this time I did spook it off as I attempted to test its sensitivity to my closing in on it, bad me!






No comments: