Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Thursday 31 December 2020

Dollarbirds vs Mynas

 I've missed seeing the Dollarbird (Eurystomus orientalis) in the taman so was thrilled when I sighted it, a pair at the bukit.

These Dollarbirds are commonly seen perched high on bare branches and this was precisely where I came across this pair in the early afternoon.


I waited patiently for their aerial acrobatic displays or sorties which they are famously known for and half an hour went by, and this pair was simply contented to just perch apart and then I was entertained to one preening.







I was so absorbed that I almost missed the little Black-thighed Falconet raptor that had quietly flown in, providing a pretty comparison in size to the Dollarbird.


Again, trying to find an ideal position to shoot these two against backlighting, I missed the other Dollarbird that had merely flew to the next branch for more preening.


I was hoping for a flexing of wings to spot the coin-shaped spots close to the tips of its wings for which this bird is named, spots that are supposedly resemble the American silver dollar coin, but no luck!


And then it proceeded to call its mate over.




A more adventurous partner that went on to check out part of the branch.




And then there was some rapid movements for which I failed to follow until I sighted another.



The Common Hill Myna had arrived, territorial, as it went on to exert its noisy presence.

And of course, that was the last of the Dollarbirds as they flew off.







It was calling and calling for almost five minutes until finally there was a response from an adjacent tree.
And so the rest of the afternoon was taken over by these raucous Mynas that were still practically squealing away as I walked off.










No comments: