Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Sunday 20 August 2017

Heard but not so easily viewed

I must say that this new kid on the block, the Lineated Barbet, has me all excited that I have been telling fellow birders to come for it in the taman.  Sadly, it was a no show when they arrived and waited the entire morning.
     I managed only some decent shots the morning before and was convinced that it would be around for a while because of the abundant figs.  Nevertheless it wasn't entirely easy for me to nail it down because I suppose it's still not used to human presence, and it did keep more to the upper storey which is its characteristic.  It did have me running around all over the taman following its calls chasing ideal shots.  The positive point is if you can spot it following its loud and unmistakable call, you can sight it perch for a pretty long while.
     I do consider it lucky to sight this fella here because it's more commonly seen in the north and according to birders, it's not easily sighted in parks like this taman.

Seen preening but too high for sharper shots in not too favourable early morning light.



Perching and calling for a good ten minutes but at the top of the tree, terribly blocked, but did pretty cute poses.





Would have been ideal shots among the figs but moving too fast for me to focus well.




No comments: