Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Friday 24 November 2017

Down memory lane with the young Kite

While observing the present pair of Brahminy Kites, I recall the last time I saw the sub-adult Kite of the previous pair.  It's with nostalgia that I looked up my record of this fella, and couldn't help feeling rather sad that it had left.  I had truly truly wanted to track its growth, and all I could do was for only a couple of months before it disappeared altogether.
I remembered how shocked I was when I first saw it for the first time, that I was not even aware there was a sub-adult Kite in the nest.  I spent the entire morning just watching it and it hardly left the vicinity of its nest.









I was totally captivated by it as it played around and preened.
















Then, the adult was pretty protective of its young and always seen close by.



I almost missed the parent and the young together, a rare occasion.


Looked like it must be pretty lonely being alone but it gave me much pleasure as I sat and watched it playing around its nest.  Then, for the first time I saw it fly away from the nest.
   










And there it went, to and fro from one end of the taman to the other, whilst the adult was always close by.




Away from its nest.



Another day, seen out investigating its surroundings.




It had now been almost a month since I first saw it and not so easy to observe at leisure as it would be all over the taman now.



I didn't know this was going to be the last time I saw it, and this was away from its nest, as its nest had been raided by the Crested Goshawks.  I would have paid more attention to it then.





But the adult was seen to return to the taman from time to time.

No comments: