Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Thursday 8 February 2018

A new sighting, Pipit

It was great to sight the Paddyfield Pipit, a personal count todate of 78th species for the taman (more because a couple more were sighted by fellow birders, unfortunately missed by me).

It's such a hyperactive bird that it was not easy to track its movements but because it spent so much time foraging in the big field, another fantastic feeding ground for a lot of birds, that I was able to follow most of its movements.
Looking at some initial shots made me realise that the Pipit had earlier found a centipede, however, it was clearly a wrong pick as the 'prey' was discarded almost immediately!  And off it went in search, and was lucky a couple of minutes later.







This worm was more to its taste!


Pursuing the Pipit for shots were not too easy and when it spotted me a few times, I considered that a bonus!  Never do any scowls look more adorable!




Determination did pay off when I managed to get some close shots as the bird came pretty close to where I was seated.




Was not sure why it did this, as if it had spotted my lens!  And the irony of it is that it came so near to me that I was unable to focus sharp, and had no time to back off to do so!


Nevertheless, it did move away as quickly and enable me to focus well again.



No comments: