Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 17 February 2018

Kite vs Goshawk

Just when I thought the excitement of encountering the Brahminy Kite has ceased, I came across an equally engrossing encounter.
From the stream, I walked to the middle park and saw this Kite sitting docilely, I thought, as it flexed and took off momentarily.




Then it returned and its mate flew in and I was fascinated by how a landing on the thin Casuarina branches almost seemed to off balance the other.



Then one took off and it was amusing that taking off  also seemed to have a similar shaky effect on one perching close by.







I detected some movements and managed to zoom in on the Crested Goshawk across the Casuarina tree.  It looked like it was preoccupied with something.




Then I spotted the chick upright in the nest.


Zooming in on a Kite practically 'next door', I was puzzled by its aggressive stance.  Hmm, have I missed out on something here?!


I gazed up at the two trees which were only meters away.  The taman is big but is it big enough for two birds of prey?


The Goshawk too seemed to be on the alert now.


And then the drama began, as the Goshawk flew out suddenly, (unprovoked I thought), and a pursuit between the Kites and the Goshawk began as the two Kites seemed desperate to ward off the Goshawk as it flew towards the Kite's nest.  
The Goshawk may be slightly smaller but looked like it's more aggressive!



Finally the Goshawk flew off but one of the Kites continued to circle protectively around its nest.







Yes, as one mate flew around on guard, the other spent time preening!







And then I saw the Goshawk chick out and away from its nest for the first time!  Ah, could that be the reason why the Goshawk was on the aggressive, trying to distract the Kites away from its chick, perhaps first day out?!


The Kite continued to circle its own nest until the other flew into the nest, so perhaps, these two were also protecting what's in there.




It was not easy to detect the chick again as I didn't expect it to move too far away from its nest, and what a thrill when I saw it finally, higher up.


Even a chick has all-seeing eyes as it spotted me!  And its look was priceless as it looked like it was trying to intimidate me!




Well, I'll be monitoring it for sure!

No comments: