Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Sunday 28 October 2018

A rare Flycatcher sighting

It was a silhouette of a slim bird that caught my attention and I thought it could be different from what I had seen so far, and boy, was I right.  If only I had known this one would be a rare sighting.



I waited and waited while it flew about in the inner undergrowth after insects.  And finally when it emerged, it was a birder's nightmare when I could not focus properly and to make matters worse, a couple of workers on electrical repairs to lamp posts just metres away, made for loss opportunity to say the least.  So, it's only record shots.  Fortunately these were enough to affirm that this bird is indeed a Japanese Paradise Flycatcher, rarely sighted in this area.
The darker back feathers differentiate it from the Amur Paradise Flycatcher.




And the inverted-U brownish shade on the upper breast and white belly confirmed its identity, a female one.



A terribly wasted opportunity for an ideal shot which I know would haunt me for days.  It flew so low that I had to squat to shoot, and this meant seconds lost for an excellent opportunity.




No comments: