Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Friday 19 May 2023

The other beauties

 When you see one, you tend to see more, never rang more true than on this occasion.

Unfortunately not prepared with a camera for macro shots, I had to do make do with what I have but it was nevertheless as a most refreshing and rewarding experience, and thereby begins my new endeavour during this rather dry avian season, and a subsequent challenge to identify these new delights ... at time of posting still a research in progress!


First it was this



And then I was drawn to a pop-up on the flat even surface of a banana leaf, and a thrilling discovery.





And who could miss this!?




And I couldn't have enough of this too, and it's not just a brown insect, stunning! 



My untrained eyes wondered if this could be the same species spotted earlier, for this one refused to leave its inner sanctum during the long duration I was there, and I was loathed to disturb it.




With my eyes seeking out the mini ones which I thought dominated the area, I almost missed this big one which was literally next to me!
And subsequently Mr Google revealed that it could be a Giant Malaysian Katydid (Arachnacris corporalis) which can grow to a bewildering 15cm (6in) with a wingspan of 25cm (10in).  This definitely calls for return visits to follow up on its growth, presently looked like about 3in.


Another gem of a leaf camouflage that I almost missed.



Finally I guessed this rounded up my sighting of crickets and grasshoppers for the morning, this being the most challenging as I had to astride a drain for it.





However, a side show was in progress with this pair of Asian Bush Crickets displaying/courting/confrontational throughout the morning; as there was no consummation, the outcome was indecisive!


The lighter one being the aggressor.







No comments: