Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Friday 26 March 2021

An unusual shrike encounter

 It was a rather unusual encounter with the Brown Shrike.  Spotting it, I walked slowly, hoping not to be obtrusive.

And it simply sat there watching me approach, strange to say the least.  Under normal circumstances this one would have flown at the slightest sense of being spotted.




Again, I walked towards it slowly but rather openly this time, and it simply turned to face me.

And there it was, watching me even as I stopped to watch it now, trying to comprehend the situation.  This was not the only thing that was puzzling, it had its feathers puffed up, but it was not a wet day nor had it rained before.

So what did I do - had thought of trying to get it to fly off to make sure it was alright.  

But I recalled an occasion sometime back when I came across a white-breasted waterhen that I thought was entangled in some weeds but upon closing up to it, and really close up, it simply flew off, perhaps it was merely basking in the water. 

So I decided to leave it alone, walked away, turned back, and it was still there.







No comments: