Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Sunday 7 March 2021

At last the pond heron

 I have practically given up hope of seeing the Chinese Pond Heron (Ardeola bacchus) this migrant season, and I wondered if this place no longer holds any attraction as I missed seeing it last season too.

So imagine my delight when I got to see not one but two this season.

And I've been asked why I'm so certain it's the Chinese species, it's because all these years I've managed to see it in breeding plumage before it left.

And this time again its identity is confirmed as one is beginning to assume breeding plumage, namely its head and neck feathers are turning maroon and soon will further deepen, the upper mandible has also turned from black to orangey, and finally part of its back feathers are darkening too and with extended plumes.

21/2020




Preoccupied with a catch it allowed me to close in slightly for better view.




And compare it to the other one, in non-breeding plumage, which appeared to be more aggressive as it seemed to chase the other away when it came too close.  So these two always stayed apart and there was no opportunity to get them in one frame.











No comments: