Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 20 March 2021

What the bulbul lost

 It was the storm's doing.

The day after the storm, I looked up into a nest that had thinned out at the bottom which led me to look around desperately if there were eggs or chicks on the ground.  Fortunately none, so perhaps the Stripe-throated Bulbuls would return to rebuild.



But more than a week later, the nest had truly 'bottomed out', I guessed abandoned after all.

Yet I waited, hoping that the birds could still return to rebuild but it has been more than two weeks now, so it's definitely a desertion.


When I first came across the bulbul, it looked like it was merely egg laying period as I compared its expression to that of the yellow-vented bulbul that I had the privilege of observing when it nested in a plant on my balcony.



However the bulbul was also seen to constantly adjust its nest whenever in it, a behaviour that had made me rethink, if there were chicks after all.




A moment of peace when it sat quietly until a stray dog started to bark close by and the bird immediately stood up in its nest, with what looked like a tortured expression.




Some quiet moments observing the bulbul also enabled me to capture a couple of both elegant and not so elegant moves of the bird as it flew to its nest.









No comments: