Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Wednesday 9 May 2018

Nuisance Hornbill

Taman Rimba Kiara stands out, owing partly to this Oriental Pied Hornbill.  Iconic, symbolic of why we should preserve city parks.  So, it's always thrilling to come across this one, but on this one occasion I was not too happy to do so!  Simply because it has made a nuisance of itself, to say the least.  It was actually trying to go after the juvy Lineated Barbet, caught raiding its nest!  And I had to try and chase it off, interfering in the cycle of survival!

When the Hornbill flew in and started to scan the area, it stirred an  uneasy feeling in me.  It was obvious that it knew there could be an easy prey in the vicinity.



And then it proved me right as it flew soon after to the Barbet's nest, lingering outside, poking its bill into the hole. And without hesitation I tried to shoo it off, trying not revealing my location.




I succeeded but it returned shortly, waited stealthily and when there was no sign of any juvy, then only did it decide to go for the nearby palm fruits, and thereafter flew away.

I sure hope I have seen the last of it, trying to raid the Barbet nest!








No comments: