Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Tuesday 27 November 2018

The Kite needs a drink

It was a gorgeous morning after the rain and to top it off, observing this Brahminy Kite was the unexpected 'frosting'.
When I saw it fly down to perch at almost eye-level, I guessed it was probably heading for the pond just below it.


It was extremely cautious even as it looked longingly down at the pond, constantly scanning the surrounding.


And so there it flew, down to the other side of the pond.


And ever cautious as before, it continuously kept a look-out.


Yup, the water was calling, and tempting.


But not yet, still it was cautious, yes, had to, even for a big bird like the Kite.  And this went on for almost a minute, looking at the time record on my images.





By now, I was rather worried that if it hesitated any longer, I might lose my opportunity to record it because my camera battery power was already low, as I was hoping to do a video record as well.
Oh good, I thought it couldn't stand it any longer.



But no, still looked wary, or perhaps, it was too far for it to reach the water from its perch.


Off it flew up again without drinking.


It spotted me suddenly and I managed to put down my camera in time, hoping I had not given away my presence.  What luck for me, a window of opportunity, whilst it perched and surveyed the surrounding again it enabled me a quick change of battery, phew!


Then to my shock, it flew down right to where I was, hardly five feet away, obviously unaware I was there, its back was to me!
That was truly amusing considering that it was so wary before of some other presence yet it flew straight down to where I stood, and me trying to be rock-still in case I alerted it to my presence.
Gosh, talk about irony!


And off it walked down the more grassy part of this pond, perhaps why it chose this part because of the tall grass that could partially shield it.




And then it proceeded to drink whilst still on guard.

What a show, and how lucky I felt, instantly feeling grateful for this taman, at the same time overwhelmed with dread at the thought of what the taman would become should the proposed monstrous building project take place.




No comments: