Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Sunday 23 December 2018

Family of Waterhens

After being away for a week, it truly felt like coming home to my own backyard as I walked to the taman.  And I have never failed to be entertained by the birdlife in the taman.  Whenever I need an inspiration, I just need to take a walk there and be witness to a scene or two played out right before me.  It therefore is devastating to think that this taman will be irreversibly damaged when the proposed hideous concrete project is allowed to proceed.  With these thoughts and a heavy heart, I continued my walk and search for the winged residents as the weather turned for the worse as if on cue.  
The sky continued to threaten to open up and all sorts of bird calls could be heard, and close by to where I was standing, the squawks and squeals of birds were sharp and loud.  I looked down to the river in time to see a pair of White-breasted Waterhens calling out.  I could hear too fluttering of wings close to where I was standing, which indicated that these birds were calling to another across the river.



I was simply thrilled when one waded across in response to the calls.  Amazing!  Bird behaviours do not differ from man's after all! They do stick together in the face of imminent threat, and it looks like a coming storm is indeed a threat.



Instead of walking into the undergrowth, it seemed to linger about.


And to my further delight, another one waded over.  Wow, there is really a healthy Waterhen population in the taman.  Waterhens are extremely shy and very difficult to photograph because they scooted at the first sign of human presence or approach and to be able to come across four is a rare treat.



The pair seemed to enjoy their time out as they tarried on the sand bar.




Then to my amusement, the same early calls were heard from inside the undergrowth and these pair finally were off as they made their way in.



No comments: