Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 1 December 2018

The Honey-buzzard in the taman

Hearing shrieks and cries, I knew that something was causing distraught among the birds, and almost immediately, I saw this big one emerge from the trees, fleeing in my direction and to my astonishment was followed closely by a black-naped oriole as if the oriole was chasing it!
The Oriental Honey-buzzard landed on a branch with the oriole flying off as if it had completed its mission of chasing off the Honey-buzzard.  Looked like size is not might after all, and the boldness of the smaller bird was in its status as the resident vis-a-vis the visitor Honey-buzzard.  This was indeed the second time, in the morning, I had witnessed the Honey-buzzard being chased away, as it was just earlier that it was also chased off by the resident brahminy kite.

Under this circumstance, this big bird did cut a lonely figure.


I had seen a Honey-buzzard just an hour ago inside the taman so I had to determine if this was the same one, after all, there had been two sighted before.



It flew on again as I gave chase to perch further away but I managed to sight it again, and captured its 'underside', and an attractive one I must add, just before it took off again, at the sound of an approaching motorcycle.


Still, I needed to ascertain its identity and fortunately managed to track it to another tree.


And yes, it did look like the same one I had sighted earlier.




And there it was, with its glorious and gorgeous plumage as it preened, and it's only a sub-adult, a male going by the grey face and head and the dark eye.





No comments: