Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Saturday 8 December 2018

New Gerygone sighting

When I look at the images of my latest new sighting, I immediately recall Charles Dickens' quote, which I choose to take liberty with here, that the sighting ' ... was the best of (opportunity), it was the worst of (focus) ... it was the (season) of hope, it was the (moment) of despair', and that was exactly how I felt with my images of the Golden-bellied Gerygone.
I have heard that it was once sighted in the taman and had been hoping to have my opportunity too and to my delight I finally did.
This is a bird which can be commonly found in urban parks although not in this taman yet and its presence is easily detected by its melodic call.  However, t's not easy at all to spot because it's one of the smallest birds at about 10cm and always on the move.
The other thing that caught my attention when I zoomed in on this tiny bird was its very yellow underparts.  However, focus was not easy and to make matters worse, the bird kept to the upper canopy.


This image shows off best the yellow I was looking for to identify the bird.


The following image always brings despair to a birder, almost ideal except for that leaf (could be a twig, a branch, etc) but I still need to retain it because this image shows off best the bird's side plumage.



These images were certainly shots in the 'dark' that I had attempted to obtain then to further identify the bird.
Thus, rounded up my latest sighting of a new visitor to the taman, and hoping to keep on counting!



No comments: