Taman Rimba Kiara is a little green gem located in a corner of the TTDI residential area. The above flowering tree, the firmiana malayana or mata lembu, flashes in testimony to man's care-less-ness - it's one of only two trees in the park that had flowered, since then the tree had been chopped down.

Monday 3 December 2018

Goshawk and its catch

It was another National Geographic moment that was played out right in front of me.  I saw the Crested Goshawk speeding towards me and then there was a sharp hit-on-target sound, and then only did I realise that the Goshawk had seized a Javan Myna as it was instantly pursued by at least six other squawking ones.  Unfortunately even the flock of Mynas were no match for the Goshawk which landed on a branch with its prey secured, glaring menacingly back at the Mynas which immediately dispersed in flight.
Again it was one more occasion that I was too shocked and engrossed in the entire incident that I didn't have an iota of opportunity to record the seizure and attempted rescue, even as the entire episode was over in seconds.  This reminded me of another occasion when the Goshawk (the very same bird) seized a lineated barbet, also right before me - post of 13 April 2018 (http://rimbakiara.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-juvy-that-never-made-it.html)

All I got of this latest incident were images of the triumphant Goshawk with glimpses of feathers of its catch securely grasped before it flew off to feast on its prey.




And this was the very bird that a couple of us birders were just admiring an hour ago.



On re-examining these images I guess it was already scanning then for its morning meal.






No comments: